The Cast of Characters & Quick Guide to the Story

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Le Creuset, Le Creuset, How I Love Le Creuset

My galley's cookware drawer.

If you know me well, you know I have sworn by my Calphalon pots for years. A wedding gift by someone in my ex-huband’s family (thank you very much, ex-relatives), I have used them well. I carried them piece by weighty piece in suitcases on each trip I made when I moved to Sweden, and then again, I carried them piece by piece back with me when I returned to the U.S. When I moved onto my grandfather’s boat, I took a cast-iron skillet and the four-quart Calphalon pot. Most of my pot and pans – excluding the large skillet – look brand new.

But until I boarded this boat, I had not been formally introduced to Le Cruset. The affair has a time limit; I know that after this six-month’s absence, I will say good-bye and watch Le Cruset sail away. I will go back to my Calphalon, because I could never afford to replace it, and besides, it’s really been good to me. But for now – ah! how I love Le Cruset. It heats up instantly and keeps the heat so well. I can throw the dough in the pot and have it come out as bread with a thicky crusty shell – even though the oven temp is barely over 350 degrees.

I love how easy it is to clean. And I love that although this set is heavily used and who-knows-how-old, it still works like it’s brand new.

Today I used almost every pot. And for dinner, I made my best-loved meal yet. Reminder to self: the crew likes BBQ. Then again, who doesn't?

Tuesday's Menu
Breakfast
Cheese grits and sausage

Lunch
Spaghetti Marinara; freshly-baked no-knead bread and salad

Dinner
Pulled pork sandwiches
Homemade rolls
Potato salad
"BBQ" butternut squash for the vegetarian
Coleslaw
Braised greens

Dessert
Rice Krispy Treats

Braised greens, as I learned to make them 
at Somewhere in Manhattan.
Broiled BBQ butternut squash (with cayenne, brown sugar
and cider vinegar.)
Slow-cooked barbecue pork butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment