The Cast of Characters & Quick Guide to the Story

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day #2 - Aka., I get to cook dinner

Phad Thai with cucumber salad. 
I have crumbs on my fingers as I type this. The remains of the pineapple upside down cake I made are sitting all too near my bunk.

This morning I went shopping. I found Savannah's only Asian grocery market within walking distance. Then I walked a mile in the wrong direction toward Kroger (or away from it), backtracked and finished my shopping. I came under budget but I'm also short a few things.

When Mark told me I could start cooking tonight, I decided I should do something I know ... Something I know well. So I made Thai food. We had leftovers from a stew the night before so I knew I had something to satisfy the captain (a big, sweet, meat-and-potatoes Santa Claus of a man), and Mark said the rest of the crew would love it. So I made potatoes, onions and carrots in massaman curry with rice. I made phad thai, and cucumber salad. And I made pineapple upside down cake for dessert.

"I've never had this cake before," said Bly. "I've never made it before!" I admitted. It was, notwithstanding, delicious.

Thanks, Betty!
http://m.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pineapple-upside-down-cake/a1c9a639-0748-4f2c-89f5-fd33cf138986?WT.mc_id=partner_mobile_bettycrocker_com

I added a dash of salt, ginger and cardamom.
Betty Crocker's Pineapple Upside Down 
Cake, or what was left of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment