The Cast of Characters & Quick Guide to the Story

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Check one off the bucket list

I just showered in the head of a 2.5 million dollar yacht. And just in case you were wondering, it wasn't All That. In fact, it was rather amusing to see what someone spends that much cash on.
This morning when I went on deck to wake the crew for breakfast, I noticed the sparkling white motoryacht had pulled in behind us in the night. We were all speculating about it: the shiny anchor; the brand-new docklines; the seats with clear plastic covers on them.

Then, later tonight, the captain was about to show our bosun around when, perhaps a little too eagerly, he invited me to shower onboard instead of going up to our hotel room. I debated for a minute but then thought, what the hell. The interior and exterior are entirely white, with the exception of the high-varnish cherry doors and cabinets cedar-lined closets and teak flooring. The bilge was so clean you could eat out of it, and the sump pump had a hinged plexiglass top. It has a crazy adjustable bed, washer/dryer set-up, Bose speakers in every room. And if that doesn't all make it over the top, when it gets to Saudi Arabia it will get outfitted with another $500,000 in electronic devices.
Other than my glamorous shower, it's been another normal day in Savannah. I baked cookies, and went to the store again. I made all the taco toppings pretty bland so Cap would eat them, which ensured that I ate very little... I guess you could say I've discovered a new diet technique: flavorless food. I had to load every bite with hot sauce.
As I was finishing this paragraph - and waiting for this evening's big outing, a ghost tour of Savannah - another tall ship pulled in. Everyone rushed on-deck, binoculars in hand. We are no longer the coolest ship in town. Well, maybe we still are - but they are taller and longer and we can't wait to go aboard.

Thursday's Menu
Breakfast
Cream cheese and pecan coffee cake; bacon and hashed potatoes
Lunch
Chicken fingers (still leftovers from the charter that I had frozen) on sandwich buns; sautéed zuchini and onions for the vegetarian; build-your-own salad with dried cranberries, candied walnuts and blue cheese; potato chips
Dinner
Soft tacos with fixings
Breakfast
Peanut butter, granola, pecan, coffee grounds and chocolate chip cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment