The Cast of Characters & Quick Guide to the Story

Monday, April 11, 2011

Out of the Shackles, One Foot Still on Sea

Like clockwork I awoke this morning at 6:30. Typical. Mondays are my only days off.

But as today is Kip's last day, I scrambled to do some grocery shopping during shower time last night so I could make him a smoothie this morning. (Like a top chef assignment, I ran madly through the aisles, nearly rolling over old ladies in my quest to get $190-worth of groceries in 30 minutes.)

Bly on the bowsprit, applying pine tar.
Naturally, as I began to take out the ingredients this morning, a small crowd soon gathered in the galley. It was like they all had antennas attuned to the word, "Smoothie." I mixed up berries, coconut, yogurt, milk, banana, vanilla and a two small lavender leaves. It was delicious.
Great find: I decided to buy an apron in every port. 
This one I found at Second Time Around in Wilmington. 
It actually has tall ships on it!
Me, enjoying my first pickled egg.

Then I went off on my own - to do this - and to walk the streets of Wilmington.

A few great finds 
On our first day here,  a man and his two daughters stood watching me from the deck. Two adorable, big-eyed little girls. They asked me what I was making. At that moment I was about to punch down a big bowl of dough. I love this part. I still emulate the drawing in The Enchanted Broccoli Forrest whenever I do this: “Thwap!” Mollie Katzen also told me in that section that a good dough should be soft as a baby’s bottom. So when the girls walked around the cabin top and came back again, without their dad, I asked them if they wanted to touch the dough, and I told them what Mollie said it should feel like. They giggled.  Then the oldest sheepishly held out a pamphlet with a drawing of Jesus on the front. And the Dad appeared again and told me to look it over. This town might be the most overtly religious place I’ve ever been. The music program on the stage beside the boat was almost solidly gospel. The volunteer that drove us to our hotel the first night invited us to his church on Sunday. The police chief’s last name is Evangelous. I kid you not. 

But I like this town. Everyone is really chill. There is a lack of pretentiousness and an earnestness that makes the religious overatures somehow palatable.  
My sushi lunch.

The man at the antique store gave me a great deal on some old iron bookends with tall ships on them; two rings and a pillbox. And the girl at the coffee shop let me sit for hours on her couch, fixing the mistakes in this post.



Monday's Menu
Breakfast
Smoothies
Leftover brownies and pickled eggs
Lunch
Sushi and saki
Dinner
TBD










4 comments:

  1. Question.....Do you want conversation on the blog? or, are you just writing as a way to connect with your feelings on the ship? Ships are unique for each of the crew members. Some do it for the adventure, some because it is a way of life they have found and can't leave. I found the peace of the galley to be wonderful. It is the heart of the ship (and crew),. Motherly, caring, fun, full of life but still your own. If you ask me, the best job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the blog as a way to keep friends and family informed about my life since I figured I wouldn't have time to correspond individually with everyone. But it's kinda taking on a life of it's own. I love the conversation! I keep expecting the crew to take part - tell me that i got an ingredient wrong or add to a story.I read all the comments, I just don't always have a lot of time to respond. Right now i'm keeping an eye on the diesel stove to make sure she stays lit, and we have been invited to a BBQ tonight so I don't have to cook! But I have fallen asleep typing on multiple occasions. It IS an amazing job, buy also more physically demanding than any job I've held since my early twenties. If you are who I think you are, we'll also get to talk in real life soon, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right!Take good care of You know who!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya know, i read the comments too :P

    ReplyDelete