The Cast of Characters & Quick Guide to the Story

Monday, July 11, 2011

Caught in the Squalls





Today flew by. Apparently there were squalls all night. The lakes are known for these kind of rapidly changing conditions. We were close hauled on a starboard tack, so I was tipped in my bunk, wedged in to keep from rolling out. It's amazing how you end up using your muscles in your sleep. I woke up sore in the morning.

As I was setting the table for breakfast, we went from a flat steady state to being heeled over in a matter of seconds. I scrambled up the steps to the galley only to see my life - or at least the fate of my legs - flash before my eyes. I had not secured the drawer with all the pans in it. I often keep that cabinet open so I have easy access to the flour and sugar and such. The drawer must weight over 150 pounds, with all that cast iron and ceramic cookware in it. I stood on the other side of the galley, watching it slide out - and then stop. Thank god the boat designers thought to put a lock on the back.

Monday's Menu
Breakfast
Spiced bread pudding
Frittata
Lunch
Hot dog buffet with sauerkraut, chili, grated cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and raw onions, pickle relish, mayo, ketchup and mustard
Mac-n-cheese (with white and yellow cheddar)
Dinner
Ham, basted in the sauce it comes with
Twice-baked potatoes (thanks to Harrison's mom, I had the Enchanted Broccoli Forrest on hand to look up the recipe when we had no cell coverage!)
Dessert
Tapioca pudding with berries (also thanks to Harrison's mom, I took these out of the freezer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment