The Cast of Characters & Quick Guide to the Story

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Greeting under Quarantine

The Habitat houses.
We pulled into Montreal and docked directly below the famous Habitat houses. I texted my friend Marika, who I worked with for six years in Sweden, have known for over ten years, and had not seen since last summer in Sweden. I knew we wouldn't be able to really talk. I wasn't allowed to leave the boat, and we were quarantined. But I thought just to see her and say hi would be a great treat.

Marika and the whole family came down to the dock, finagling their way around security just to stand across from me, not touching, but taking in my new environment.

(Unfortunately, I was in the middle of getting dinner on the table, and Eve told me that The TSA was flipping out, afraid I would let them on the boat.)

I wish I could have. If the situation had been any different, I would love to have given them a tour of the boat. Or just given them all big hugs, actually. That felt really strange.

Later Marika texted me that her two sons were talking about "Mommy's friend, the pirate." At least they might remember me now.


Flanking us on the opposite side was this structure, which looked straight out of Star Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment